Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Back on the Blue Road! Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach..charming!

So glad to be back on the water. My Father is doing well (at 92 and recovering from pneumonia) and is at a rehab hospital ready to bust out and get back to my Mother. They have been married 68 years and being separated is not what they had in mind! My sister, Marcia and brother, Dan and my two nephews, Steve and Matt and I moved Mom and Dad into a new Assisted Living Apartment in the same building in Zeeland, MI. Should be much better for them.
As we left Jacksonville we cruised through a thunderstorm. Wind speeds reached 30 mph, but we moved smoothly through the water. We appreciate the performance of Crawdad. We have found our Grand Banks to be comfortable in all but the worst and roughest water. We did find meeting the heavily-weighted freighters we met on the St. Johns River to be a bit intimidating.
Jim and I traveled from Jacksonville to Fernandina Beach, on Amelia Island. Such a charming town! Reminds me of Birmingham, MI where I lived for 25 years. Needless to say, I loved our visit to Fernandina Beach and put it on my list of favorite places.

As we cruised into the marina at Fernadina Beach, we noticed our friends, High Spirits, from Canada. Earlier in the day Ruth put a note on Facebook asking where we were. So nice to find Ruth and Wayne in the harbor! We had a lovely dinner in a courtyard, until the mosquitoes started to light.

We purchased diesel fuel at Florida Petroleum, who provides fuel for the shrimp boats. When we need fuel, I call the options that are available. Florida Petroleum was $.47 cheaper than the next option. Huge difference. Buying diesel fuel is a painful experience these days.

The gentleman working the pump at Florida Petroleum explained that shrimp boats do not go out until the water temperature is consistently at 70 degrees or higher.

Jim and the boys had a wonderful time with our son Joe and his delightful wife Erica. While I was in Holland, they cruised to St. Augustine, where Jim and I had recently visited. There is so much to see there, that Jim was able to see the interior of Flagler College, the previous Ponce de Leone Hotel, developed in the late 1800's by Henry Flagler. They rode the trolly around the city, visited the fort and toured the winery.

No comments:

Post a Comment